What can I do to extend the lifespan of my hair extensions? Here are a few home-care tips to ensure that your hair extensions last as long as possible.
- When washing, always work from roots to tips, in the direction of the cuticle.
- Wash underneath every tape to remove the natural oils from the scalp that could loosen the tapes.
- Use hydrating shampoos and treatments on your extensions as the ends tend to dry out over time due to styling tools, brushing, climate and UV rays. We recommend the Inebrya Green Moisture range as it is packed with moisture to keep the hair soft and hydrated.
- Avoid getting conditioners, treatments and oils on the tapes, as it will cause the tape to loosen from the hair. These products are meant for lengths and ends, not roots.
- Avoid products that contain sulfates, ammonia and parabens. The Inebrya Green Moisture range is free of all these nasty little ingredients.
- Use a good hair serum to moisturise and seal the ends.
- Be very gentle when brushing as to not add unnecessary tension on the hair follicles.
- Start from the bottom and work your way up while holding the top part of the hair to avoid tension on the scalp and tape.
- Try to brush as close to the tape or ring as possible without damaging it.
- Do not brush extensions when wet.
- Do not tie up your hair shortly after installation, as it may cause unnecessary tension on the cuticle.
- Do not sleep with wet hair extensions, as they can tangle easily.
- For sleeping, plait or tie hair up in a loose bun. It is recommended to sleep on a satin pillow case to prevent tangling.
- Use styling products that are alcohol-free and that do not leave a build-up or residue. The Inebrya Style-IN range has a variety of products to choose from.
- When using straightening or curling irons, avoid using high heat settings (<180˚C).
- When using straightening or curling irons, always use a good thermal protector. Use the Style-IN Thermo spray or the Inebrya Liss One to protect your hair.
- The hair should be 100% dry before using straightening or curling irons. Never use them on wet hair.
- Before swimming, wet hair thoroughly with clean water.
- Apply a good hair serum or oil to wet hair to lock in as much moisture as possible. Here I would recommend the Inebrya Argan Oil Pro Age Treatment or the Inebrya Argan Age Frizz free spray.
- Immediately after swimming, rinse the hair with clear water and apply a leave-in conditioner.
Hair extensions cost a lot and cannot be replaced easily without careful budgeting and saving. Make yours last as long as possible. Look after it as if it is your own hair.
Information courtesy of Juanè Jacobs: Stay Beautiful Hair Extensions